The unit examines the nature and scope of psychology as a foundation for understanding human development. Learning theories relevant to ECDE and their contributions on how children learn are discussed. In addition, key concepts in psychology such as intelligence, memory, motivation, concept formation, sensation, perception, attitudes, emotions and factors influencing learning have also been highlighted.
By the end of the unit, you should be able to:
- define the terms used in general psychology.
- describe the nature and scope of general psychology.
- discuss learning theories relevant to ECDE.
- discuss factors influencing learning.
- evaluate how teachers can apply the information on learning.